Sunday, September 28, 2008

Ralph Rucci: A Designer and His House



I just watched the short film "Ralph Rucci: A Designer and His House", which I taped this morning on the Sundance Channel. Unfortunately, this exquisite film is not scheduled to be shown again, and if you didn't see it, I'm very sorry you missed it. It was very well done, with lots of discussion about the clothes, the couture techniques, and the design process that Rucci uses.

Ralph Rucci is the first American to be invited to show his couture collection in Paris since Mainbocher in the 1930's. I'm not sure if you can see the details, but these garments are completely made by hand. You can find better photos at the Kent State Museum's Chado Ralph Rucci Couture retrospective exhibit website.

"We don't make couture to sell nail polish. We make couture and women write the checks for this. I don't put clothes like this on the red carpet. These clothes go privately to homes, I'm proud to say." -Ralph Rucci